Dynamic Calendar Widget

Book by phone
+33(0)4 90 15 90 15

Book a table

Logo Le Prieuré

7 Place du Chapitre

Restaurant La petite table Le Prieuré -Déjeuner Bistronomique

from 12:00 à 13:30

Weekly closure
on Tuesdays and Wednesdays

Restaurant Gastronomique Le Prieuré-Baumanière

from 19:30 to 21:15

Weekly closure
on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
from June 1st to June 15th
and from Septembre 1st to October 31st

every lunchtime from June 16th to August 31st

Home > Le Prieuré-Baumanière > A Historical Place

A Historical Place

Le Prieuré-Baumaniere, a former convent rich in history

Before becoming a sought-after hotel address, Le Prieuré was a palace, then known as a “livrée”, built in 1332. Shortly before his death, Cardinal Arnaud de Via, its owner and nephew of Pope John XXII, donated it to Canons to establish a priory. It later became a boarding house for artist painters and was then transformed into a tourism hotel.

To bring the “Baumanière” touch, Jean-André & Geneviève Charial, the owners, undertook 6 months of renovation and decoration. Le Prieuré-Baumanière reopened its doors in 2007 in the heart of the medieval town of Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. It is delightful to walk through this village, full of heritage treasures and cultural visits, such as Fort Saint André, La Chartreuse, or the Collegiate Church Notre Dame; so many monuments bearing the imprint of the papacy in Avignon.